Friday, November 2, 2012

The green elf - D1

After a 4-hour sleep and an alcohol smelly flight I arrived to Ireland.
It is cold, f*cking windy, but at least it is not raining.
Got the first shock in Spar (at the airport I had to buy the busticket here): hey, they speak English! Finally I have no language difficulties, not counting the fact, that every sentence pops up in German in my head :)
The second shock on the bus: the bus stops are either not indicated or not announced. Luckily I wrote down by what number I have to get on and off, but it is quite stressfull (so far 100% success). See, precize planning is important!

I managed to get to 3 sightseeing spots today (planned previously 4), 2 of these are from the list "Hidden places in Dublin" written by a German guy... after today... never trust a solo male traveller, mostly when he is German :D These guys are too fearless!

National Botanical Garden
Khm, remembering the German forests I thought the autumn has been just arrived to Ireland too, but no, here it is nearly winter. The garden was bald, empty, with overblown flowers or bushes cut to the roots. Absolutely dejected. That's why - and following the "only realize positive things, to avoid being moody" strategy the pictures were taken about nice stuffs. You can find realism by the next 2 spots :D

Halloween on the streets and in the botanical garden (pumpkins made by children):
  

  

  


The garden:  



      


Blessington basin 
I was walking calmly towards my next destination, and nearly turned right to a street when an old lady caught my arms and asked why do I go that direction, will I visit someone? Ohm, no, I am looking for the Blessington basin. Softly she pushed me away and said it would be better to avoid that street, I should rather go along this one... no worries, she is coming this way too, and hooked on me. When I told her I am a solo traveller, got and endless advice lavina "sweetheart, take care of yourself, do not talk to strangers, I am old, this is an exception, but take care which street you chose, rather go into the city center, you should see this and that, and take care with whom to talk". When she left me, all of my energy was gone (have to admit that I had to kick my ass 3times to get on that flight... opposite to the April Rome, when it did not succeded). I looked around, but could not see any suspicious guy... however in Budapest... but I read the above mentioned German gentleman's article about safety for solo women travellers, which already scared me (summary: you should be kind to an Irish guy, when you really wanna continue, otherwise it can be an aggressive end... oh, and bring condoms with you, they don't have it, but sexual diseases they do).
This is the basin:



  

South Great Wall, the bay and the Poolbeg lighthouse
Khm, so it was recommended by our friend... out in the end of nowhere, I had to cross a park, a very long industrial road where only trucks could be seen, a beach and the mole. Now checking it on the  map while trying to give a massage to my aching legs, it was a 12 km trip in all.
I was swearing through the industrial road, but became speechless when reached the beach. I collected some shelles and stones, as usually (mind the pink shell!). And smiling continously to the lighthouse. Backward... not that much. It started raining, I soaked through, I was locked in the park. So I had to climb through the tapering fences, thanks god by one of the exits it was lower. Whoopsie daisy :D
Still it was worth to do it!


  

 



The first day's advantage list:
  • finally can speak English freely
  • tea, tea, tea (in small shops, in big ones, in the hotel, everywhere)
  • everybody is willing to help when I ask them and they are really friendly and talkative
  • fish&chips
  • beach
  • got a free Halloween lollipop 


No comments:

Post a Comment