Friday, November 2, 2012

The green elf - D2

Well, because of the long walk, wearing not the proper shoes and climbing over the fences I became a crappy and limited moving robot, this post will be shorter.

I'm staying on this area - as usually when I am abroad, I chose a silent suburban district:


Glasnevin, Dublin

City center
The center is full of tourists, cars and buses (I should stick to the hidden places). Unfortunately Dublin hasn't got a metro system, but they are building it (the worldwide 21 Project - the same as in Stuttgart). On the buses you can pay only with coins, and if you don't have the exact amount, you will receive a bill about your overpayment, and you can get it back in their office in the city. Pretty underdeveloped traffic system :(


  

  


On the glass you can see the Bank of Ireland (former Parliament building)

Trinity College
Ancient university of Ireland, established more than 400 years ago. It has a huge library and the Book of Kells can be seen here, which is written in Latin and illustrated with drawings, contains the 4 gospels from the New Testament. Of course you can see only a replica ;) The queue was too long and the weather too cold to wait for a copy, so I missed it :p But there was a graduation ceremony, so I could watch the happy youths while taking pictures, throwing their hats and tried to figure out what fur they have on their shoulders.

Street side

  
Inside

Hooligans :D



 
The new and old library

Sphere within sphere (nickname Death Star and designer Mr Tomato - A. Pomodoro)


National Gallery
From a tiny walk from the university, but far enough to soak through from a sudden rain. Unfortunately the Gallery has a small collection, I swear I read all of the descriptions next to the paintings, but finished in 1.5 hours. :( The Irish paintings are suprisingly good! It reminds me, that others wonder how good the Hungarian painters are, well, fame and talent is not always best friends.
It was possible to take pictures inside, but without flash it is rather a nice memory for myself, which one I liked. These ones:

A View of Dublin from Chapelizod

Barret:  View of Powerscourt Waterfall

Davis: A view of the Rye Water near Leixlip

Lavery: Return from market

Van Honthorst: A music party :D


And for the end a little bit of quay:

  

  


No comments:

Post a Comment