Sunday, November 25, 2012

Birthday lunch a la Japonais

My mom had a birthday in the middle of October, I promised her to invite her for a lunch in a good place. The good place turned out to be finally my flat :D Her only request was not to include any raw fish or meat (somebody knows me very well :)) Of course she could not run away from the Japanese style.

In details: it was a 4 course menu with appetizer, soup, main course and dessert. And of course with Japanese beer.

With more details:
Salmon misosoup, I used a modified version of kasu-jiro from runnyrunny999: instead of the fried tofu I used original one and had not got the salmon cream. Open-eyed readers have already observed on the previous picture, that the 2 soups look differently: my mum received leek, and I got wakame - dried algae.


Daigakuimo
Even though I put it on the table as an appetizer, might be that this is a dessert :) Sweet potato caramelized on sugar.


Yakisoba
Classical :) Chicken breast roasted with carrots, mushrooms and leek, mixed with pasta and poured with yakitori sauce. The sauce is a heaven, however its ingredients cannot really found in an average kitchen. Cheating again: I used mirin instead of honey.



Melonpan
Its name refers to its "exterior", has nothing to do with melon taste. It is not easy to make it: you need two kinds of dough: a short pastry and a batter. The batter has to be knead and flapped, really good exercise to get rid of stress, I could hardly stop myself :)
I mixed the base batter with macha powder (green tea), that's why the lower layer is a bit greenish. Two pieces of them is sprinkled with poppyseed. The melonpan is sometimes filled with different delicious creams. Unfortunately this was the first and last occasion that I baked it: we are not compatible with the little pat :(



Itadakimasu!


No comments:

Post a Comment