Saturday, May 11, 2013

Japan 2013 - Miyajima

Here we go again - by myself, in Japan again <3

This time I chose 4 main cities and their surroundings, and had a hidden homework to find out whether I could live in Japan, or just adore it from a distance. There are so many beautiful places in this country, it was really difficult to push everything into 11 days not to miss out anything. Of course, it was impossible. So after months of consideration I chose Hiroshima, Kobe, Sendai and Tokyo.

Arriving to Narita wasn't as easy as last time, there was a huge queue by the passport counters, lots of Asian people in front of me (Indonesian, Chinese, Indian etc). When I got out, my package was the last one already taken out form the conveyor and examined by an officer. Luckily this time I got a female security personnel, who wasn't interested to drop out everything from my sacks :)
After a long waiting time for the Japan Rail Pass, finally I got onto the Narita Express (was continuously praying to reach it, because I had an appointment at the Tokyo Station). And now the weird thing came: I did not feel, I'm in Japan. No sensation, no wows, it seemed like any other country. The only difference was that big, white-topped mountain, which popped up every now and then, showing us her beauty. Now imagine people on the right side of the train, taking pictures with mobile phone :)


After a 15-hour flight and 6-hour train ride finally I arrived to Hiroshima. Got a really nice Japanese style room, very close to the Hiroshima castle - actually I could see it from my window. And of course I had to eat a MOS hamburger with a bizarre green drink (melon).




And next morning with a fresh mind and body I headed to Miyajima. This island is famous of its beautiful colors in autumn. Have you ever seen those orange/red gate which is one of the symbols of Japan? Yes, it belongs to Miyajima.





When I arrived, the hanami season was nearly over, so only a few half-full trees could be seen with cherry blossoms.  Surprisingly I found deers on this island! And you won't believe it, but they ate the felt blossoms!







The gate belongs to the Itsukushima Shrine. And surprisingly it was out of the water, so we could walk around it. There were many locals shoveling oysters from the wet ground. Yes, I tasted some, grilled with a sweet sauce. Actually this was my only food on this day :)



The island is really beautiful, full of shrines and temples, many tourists of course. And very popular for weddings.





And here I reached the point of return - but I did not: I would call it the gate of hell :D The entry point of climbing up to Mount Misen. There are several routes how to reach the top, I chose the Daishoin Course. Which was full of rock steps and literally breathe taking, but beautiful scenic panorama occasionally. 






On the summit you can look around the island and see more island and of course Hiroshima from a distance. Really wonderful place.






Not far away from there is a shrine complex, with a lovely legend: they protect here a fire, which was lit up 1200 years ago. And for the Hiroshima Memorial Park, the fire was taken from here to be the Fire of Peace.
A bought a daruma doll face and wrote my wish on it, and lit an incense just to be sure, finally it will be realized :) Weird, I am atheist, but in Japan I prayed by every temple, shrine, rock :)




I managed to get onto the last ropeway car, so my already wore out feet could have a rest. And guess what, I arrived exactly at sunset to the O-Torii! Together with lots of tourists we made our once in a lifetime picture:


Oyasumai nasai :)


3 comments:

  1. Jajj ez az uccsó nagyon cukker :)
    Szép képek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh really a lifetime experience! And you know, we still have those manually pulled rickshaws in Kolkata! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :) If I ever dare to travel to India by myself, you have to be on my side!!!

      Delete