Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Japanese blog dinner

I organize blogdinners every once in a while and today we had Japanese day :)
I tried to find different dishes from different areas of Japan.

This is how it looked like before we destroyed the whole table:



The soup was a really simple miso-soup with chicken and shiitake mushroom:


The next dish was nigiri sushi. Sendai (Miyagi prefecture) inspired me to create the weird red one. After the WWII a Japanese restaurant owner started to use some leftovers by military forces near this area. These were beef tongue and oxtail. The tongue gained a high popularity all over Japan, they create it as sushi, grilled or in curry. The oxtail is cooked as a soup and served as part of the beef tongue menu.
I found only smoked beef tongue in the market.
The white nigiri is octopus.



The main dishes are from Osaka: okonomiyaki and takoyaki (just a quick Japanese lesson: yaki means grilled). Okonomiyaki is my favorite and served the purpose of "life bouy", if something goes wrong tonight :) And the dish which had quite big chance to destroy the evening is... the takoyaki. It is very simple pancake based balls filled with octopus. The problem is in Japan they use a special baking form made from heavy iron. I tried to buy it last year, but I could not lift it with one hand, that's why decided to buy just a small baking form. Nah, I have to say takoyaki cannot (CANNOT) be baked in oven :( Even 220 degree was not enough. I tried a fried egg Tefal form to make some small flat pieces, and also to transform the little ugly shapeless somethings from the oven into an eatable but still ugly "takoyaki". 
Both dishes are decorated with okonomiyaki sauce and mayo. 
Ohm, I just discovered the shape of the takoyaki plate... really sorry, do not show it for children.. or say, it is an ugly Christmas tree :)))




And the dessert is mochi.
Green tea mochi, green tea covered with kinako (roasted soybean flour) and "ume-mochi": artificially colored and in the middle you can see umeboshi.




My usazukin's choice was the ume-mochi tonight :)


No comments:

Post a Comment