Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Japan - when a dream comes true :)

It started long ago, with a TV show called "Shogun". I can't remember why it touched me so deeply, but I bought the book after it. As always the book was more detailed, funny, sometimes fearful, food for thought, mostly for teenagers, whose personality isn't mature enough. I read the book several times, discovered more details. I was a bit asocial, so the Japanese people's character, loneliness, feeling hiding personality got me.
Later I bought more books related to the Japanese art, religion, history and totally felt in love with the medieval Japan and Tokugawa Ieyasu, the Shogun.

Japan is far away from my country. The flight is expensive, so is the accommodation, transportation, the whole life. Even if I have had money for it, I could not find a traveling mate (who didn't want to pay their cost with me :)). We wanted to celebrate out 10th anniversary in Japan with Jef, but our paths have been changed. So last year I got bored with waiting and started to travel alone. And now the time has become for Japan. I waited tiny twenty-something years - as they say, love can bear everything :)

The flight with Austrian (really good service!) is around 12 hours. Passing the security check in Vienna (they gave away my drink bought at the airport, I alarmed 3 times, but at least everybody was smiling) and entering the waiting area for the Tokyo flight a big smile started to appear on my face. The kind of idiot grimace. 90% of the people were Japanese, with some really good-looking guys ;)
I reserved a seat at the back and had luck: nobody was sitting next to me, thus I could have a rest on both seats :D Of course I could not sleep, it was only 11am. And could not understand why the others could... later it turned out, Japanese can sleep everywhere, in any positions :)
We flied over Russia, entering japan from NW. The sky was covered with clouds, you could see not too much, however we had 15 minutes till landing. And then in the far the clouds opened and a mountain became visible. No, it can't be! But as we got closer, the mountains got bigger, we could see the whole, the beautiful top covered with snow, the very typical sight of Mount Fuji. Watashi wa Smiley-san desu :)


On the airplane we received two sheets to fill: one for the custom, the other about me and any sin I executed in the past (however they were not interested in my mom's maiden name, my religion, my sexual interest or breast size... really likeable nation!)
On the Narita airport overzealous employees controlled our way: first paper give-away, fingerprint, look into the camera. Second paper give-away, survive a very self-confident Japanese officer and his questions: is this your first time? yes. How long do you stay and where will you go? 11 days and will be a round trip. Do you have a travel book? Yes, I showed it to him, he snorted :) The book is 922 pages. Could you open please your bags... of course.. he started to take out everything, very slowly, look into my sacks, manage to empty the one with my panties :) Oooops, could you put them back please? Next one also something not for guys... he gave it up and wished me nice stay :D


I bought Japan Rail Pass, only foreigner can have it. It was really very expensive, it had nearly the same price for 2 weeks as my flight ticket!
Got a quick train till Ikebukuro and after not smoking for 15 hours I just HAD TO get a fag. Japanese are heavy smokers, but I could not see anyone smoking on the streets. Got a bit suspicious. Yeah, at the end of the day I discovered it is forbidden to smoke on the streets, they have some designated smoking areas, not many.

My first accommodation was a ryokan, traditional Japanese house. Shoes off by the entrance, you got a slippery (yes, you too, not only me :p). The room is covered with tatami, I have a matrace. Very small but comfortable room. The bathroom is shared, on the first evening I could experience it: washing my teeth next to a Russian, while an American was having a shower next to us :)



But it's time to see Tokyo! First day, around noon.
The narrow streets around my ryokan are quite empty, small little shops, few people, lot of wire :)


My first target was Shinjuku - the most busy railway station, why not? :)


The metro system seems to be quite simple, but the several exit confused me. I managed to swap N and S and was hovering around for 1.5 hours :) - just to find a building which supposed to be for a 10 minute walk from the station. With some help by a Japanese clerk I found it: looks like a chip :)

And why was it so important to get in? They have free observatory on the 45th floor, you can see towards any direction. If you are lucky and have a clear day, you can see Fuji :)


 
At lunchtime the area was full of people, queuing in front of the small restaurants. But some hours later the places are empty. They have English menu, but immediately when I entered, they came out of the desk, showed me everything with big enthusiasm and smile. I ordered a small size warm udon with soy sauce, bonito flakes and leek. And a tempura something, probably octopus. Water and tea for free - so my whole lunch costed me 4 EUR. When I left the "object", the seller said lots of arigato, goodbye and we are waiting you back :D Love this city!

The Meiji shrine. It is nearly dark, however it's only 4pm!
In front of the inner gate there is a wooden waterbasin, you can wash your hands, face, teeth, whatever, to enter the shrine clean. The instruction was written out in English, too, but it came clear only some days later. However I cleaned myself properly :)
The shrine is in a big park. Next to it you can hang out small wooden plates with your wishes.




No comments:

Post a Comment